So, I think it is pretty nifty that my first official post on my new(ish) website is on Halloween! Fall is my absolute favorite time of year, October is my favorite month and Halloween is one of my top 3 favorite holidays! So what is more appropriate than to share one of my favorite treats with you? My mom’s recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
I know I that am biased, but these are the BEST darn chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I have ever had. My mom made these a lot when I was a kid. Nothing beat a warm cookie with a glass of milk to make a bad day good and a good day great. She made them for me when I was in college and lovingly sent them when I was homesick. She even made sure the cookie jar was full of them when I and my boyfriend would come home to visit. I am not certain, but I suspect Mom’s cookies had something to do with him marrying me. Ina Garten may have her engagement chicken, but I think this recipe may qualify as engagement cookies.
So, take a few minutes, and whip up a batch of these for a treat. I promise, it’s not a trick!
Grandma Mary’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 11/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp water
- 1 cup softened butter or shortening
- 2 cups uncooked oatmeal
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour together with baking soda and salt. Set aside
- Cream butter. Blend in both white and brown sugars.
- Add in water, vanilla to butter and sugar mixture. Beat in eggs
- Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture.
- Blend in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
From: The Kitchen of Mary Hissong